YOUR ODDS TO SUCCEED WITH WORKMAGIC
Schedule your consultation Small business owners cannot afford a security breach, nor the budget typically required to successfully migrate off GoDaddy.
Moving Away from GoDaddy 365
Companies can purchase a Microsoft 365 subscription direct with GoDaddy along with their primary domain. When this occurs, GoDaddy "federates" this domain and tenant, making it unable to transfer under the Microsoft CSP program. Moving and defederating this account has been a major pain point and it has often involved talking to GoDaddy support for many hours. In calling them to defederate the domain, they would delete all user accounts and data, so you had to make sure you had migrated the email to a new 365 tenant first before performing this cutover. Once they released the domain, it was often a scramble to get this set back up in the new 365 tenant to avoid downtime as much as possible.
Prepare Your End Users
- Defederating requires users to reset their passwords in order to be able to login to their account. You will need to have a password list to distribute to them or have them provide you passwords beforehand. You could just reset them all to a temporary password after federation and then they can change to whatever they want after.
- Define a date and time in which you will be defederating. I recommend during non-business hours even though there is no downtime in mail flow with this solution. Provide end users with this information.
- Since users may run into activation prompts within their office apps and outlook during the license transition, provide them documentation for how to sign back in after the license switch to CSP has taken place. For office apps they can simply go to File>Account>Sign Out>Sign In.
- In outlook, users will be prompted to re-enter their new password after its changed.
Become a Tenant Admin in GoDaddy
When a user sets up a 365 account directly with GoDaddy, they set up the initial user as an “admin” user but this user is redirected to the GoDaddy portal when trying to access the admin tab when going to Office.com. For this reason, we need to gain access to the true Global Admin so that we can perform the necessary powershell scripts to defederate the tenant.
- Login to Portal.Azure.com with the admin user that was set up when the account was first created and click on the 3 lines in the top left corner
- Click on Azure Active Directory. Then click on Users when the new tabs open up
- Here you should see a user label with admin@.onmicrosoft.com
Once you have copied the temporary password, place it in a notepad and open an incognito window in the browser. In the browser, go to office.com and sign in with that username and temporary password. Establish a new password. With this completed, you now have a user that can run the necessary powershell commands in the future steps.
WorkMagic Can Help You!
But you need to buy Visio or Project Online, and GoDaddy doesn’t offer those subscriptions. You want the full power and breadth of the Microsoft 365 Admin center to deploy proper security protocols. You are curious about how the Microsoft Azure platform can support your digital transformation to get data from your on-premise severs to the Cloud. You are looking for a replacement to QuickBooks so you can grow your business with a robust accounting and operations package and you want a trial for Microsoft Dynamics Business Central. None of this is available on GoDaddy Office 365. So, what can you do?
Work with WorkMagic, a trusted Microsoft partner to help you unstick from GoDaddy, break free of their restrictive login portal, and enjoy unfettered access to the rich ecosystem of tools and services available with Microsoft 365 – without the headache of the traditional migration process.
Select your odds
WorkMagic is adept in helping clients of GoDaddy’s Office 365 safely and efficiently move to Microsoft 365 while ensuring uninterrupted business continuity.
Microsoft 365 Enterprise
Microsoft 365 E3 combines best-in-class productivity apps with core security and compliance capabilities. • Improve productivity and foster a culture of collaboration